Word of the Year: 2014

Happy new year, friends!

For the past several years, I’ve meditated on a word for that specific year.

• Freedom
  • Grace
  • Trust
  • Growth

Last year, my word was fearless. I mentioned specific fears I wanted to release:

• Not measuring up as a newbie parent.
  • Declining physical and mental illness.
  • Dying and leaving my husband and family behind.
  • Being good enough to write my own book.

Big things! But…thanks be to God: He has helped me not to be consumed with these things.

• I’ve lowered my high expectations of being the perfect parent and allowed myself to make mistakes and not feel like a failure.
  • God has helped me to manage my physical and mental illnesses. I can honestly say I’m doing well.
  • Of course, no one likes to think about dying and leaving their family behind, but I don’t let that overwhelm me like it did before last year. I’m still a little fearful, though.
  • And as you already know, I did write my book. 🙂

Isn’t God good?

If you’re struggling with fear, please remember this great verse from 2 Timothy 1:7:

God didn’t give us a spirit that makes us weak and fearful. He gave us a spirit that gives us power and love.

Fear not!

This year, I’ve been a little back and forth on my word for the year. But after much thought, my word for 2014 is:

CONSISTENCY

That’s a heavy one for me because sometimes–well, a lot of times, I’m all over the place and I overlook stuff–important stuff. So… here are the areas I want to focus on:

• Prayer and Bible reading
  • Hubby and me time
  • Me time
  • Family time
  • Writing and blogging
  • Encouraging
  • Praising

That might seem like a lot–and it is, but I think I need to follow through with my good intentions. Hey, there’s no sense in scheduling stuff on my electronic calendar if I’m going to ignore the alerts, right? 😀

beconsistentrev

This is my verse for the year, from 1 Corinthians 9:25-27.

All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You’re after one that’s gold eternally. I don’t know about you, but I’m running hard for the finish line. I’m giving it everything I’ve got. No sloppy living for me! I’m staying alert and in top condition. I’m not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.

So, by God’s strength alone, I will not be led astray by distractions.

I will be consistent!

Come alongside….Would you say you are consistent? If not, what areas do you need to work on? What is your word for 2014?

Related Products

20 Responses to Word of the Year: 2014

• Daphne – the word I have sensed God giving me for 2014 is “TRUST”. It comes out of some parallel issues you listed from your “last year” thoughts on “fear”. For the opposite of “fear” is “trust”.

In 2013, my word was “SERENITY” and it was the most harsh year of my life both with my own health issues and months of being available for my brother who was in major health crisis. I shared recently with a friend that I am not so sure I met any goal with “serenity” last year as inwardly I was having to fight so hard to keep above the enemy pounding on me to survive. But she reminded me ( and she had read my my updates through the months of my brother’s crises ) that what shone through was God’s serenity that was keeping me where He wanted me to be. I appreciated her perspective.

I have not yet outlined some specifics of areas where trust is needed – put them in writing so thank you for sharing how you have done that for your own life.

Appreciating you!
    Lynn

When we think we’re not handling things very well as Christians, many times others see in us the serenity of Christ that we ourselves can’t see, Lynn. I’m sure that’s what your friend was talking about. Your witness surely strengthened her faith and trust in God.

Trust is a big word, as I told Merida in another comment. Writing the specific areas down really helped me to take even the smallest steps of faith to move toward trusting God more and more. I might add that I’m still needing to trust God with my husband being laid off more than 6 months last year. He still hasn’t found a job despite sending out multiple resumes, and although we’re discouraged and wondering what is going on, I’m choosing to trust. God has certainly placed me in a position to do just that.

I pray God’s strength sustains you this year and that you are able to trust him more and more as you focus on his goodness and love for you.

• Merida Ortiz says:

The word for me for 2014 that I need to work on is Trust and understanding. I need to learn to trust and understand my 19 year old son. And personally Growth, I want to learn more about God and be able to teach other’s how great he has been to me and my family and that He can do the same to those who seek Him.

Trust and understanding. It’s hard to trust others, isn’t it? It’s even harder to understand them at times, especially when it comes to our children. I pray that you will be able to see things through his eyes to get a better glimpse of his point of view.

Growth is another good one. What I learned from my word Growth a couple years ago was that the more we spend with God the more we grow in other areas. I pray you are able to grow as He wills for you this year. Hang in there and share His word!

• Consistency is a good one. That usually results in stability which is what we all need. As far as the commentors who are using trust as a word to guide their years, I happened on this scripture at the end of the year in a Joyce Meyer daily devo. Psalm 37:3. “Trust in God and do good.” I don’t think I can do much better than that as my theme for the year.
    jamie@southmainmuse would like you to read…Along with black-eyed peas, a side of strategic planning.

Hi, Jamie! Happy new year!

I like that verse! It’s simple in a complex way, if that makes some sense. 😉 I pray you will be able to trust in God more and more this year and that he will help you to do good in all things.

• I’m sorry to hear about your struggle last year and that there issues ongoing. But at the same time it is wonderful to hear how God has been good to you and brought you peace and calm in the midst of everything.
    May He bless you this year 2014 also!
    My word for the year is Joyfull. This is the first time I have chosen a word for myself and it is wonderful.
    Joanna Sormunen would like you to read…Knots in the string

He is good to us, isn’t he, Joanna? 🙂

Joyful! I love that. It brings a smile to my face. I hope that your life is filled with joy this year and that despite any challenges, you will experience the calmness and peace that God gives.

I’ll be sure to stop by your blog. Thanks for stopping by mine.

Hi, again, Joanna! I can’t seem to leave a comment on your blog. 🙁

I loved that quote at the beginning of your post. My string must be a bundle of knots, frays, just a big ol’ dreaded up wad. 😀 But if I’m closer to him because of it, thank you Lord.

Thank you for sharing that, my friend.

• Giving my life to Jesus over 25 years ago on a psych ward the first Scripture I learned was II Timothy 1:7. “God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.” Fighting fear with this Scripture has been a spiritual mainstay. For me, I am ringing in 2014 with the word, HOPE. Here’s my blog post about the hope found in Jeremiah 29:11 in the face of a rough 2013. Here’s the link for all of you needing hope, too: http://christinaryanclaypool.com/blog1/2013/12/31/a-postcards-reminder-of-hope-for-the-future-by-christina-ryan-claypool/

Hi, Christina!

I completely agree that 2 Timothy 1:7 has been instrumental in my dealing with fear. I’m sure I will continue to use it as long as I live, especially since I battle with depression and bipolar disorder. Tackling some of my anxious feelings with truth helps soothe my spirit.

Hope! Doesn’t it make life worthwhile? There is something better. God has something better. God will make all of life worth it. He will bring glory out of it. I pray that for you this year. God is the god of ALL hope.

I will definitely check out your post on hope.

Hi, Christina!

I went over to your blog and read your lovely post but the comments section was closed, so I thought I would comment over here again. 🙂

I needed this reminder, for sure. My husband was laid off for more than 6 months last year, and here it is the new year and still nothing, despite sending out multiple resumes during the holidays. I know God has a plan, and I hold out hope.

Thank you for sharing this, my friend.

• Dawn says:

Daphne< so excited for you, and the victories you share here! I think your word and thoughts for 2014, are like a beautiful breath of fresh air!

Best wishes for a happy new year!

Hi, Dawn!

I’m excited too, and a little bit nervous. I know what I have to do to be consistent but it’s just doing it when I know I should be doing it. 😉

Thank you for stopping by, my friend.

• Brenda says:

I am excited to see all that God has done in your life. Knowing that God is no respecter of person’s I know that He will do for each one of us what He has done for you. Prayers answered, freedom given, grace supplied, He is an awesome God!

As for the word He has whispered into my spirit this year, it is authenticity.
    I have limited my self expression based on what I felt others could understand that I have stifled my truest self but that time has officially passed. I am free from that foolishness, because I am a marvelous representation of my Heavenly Father’s heart here on earth.

This year I am resolved to be most authentically me.
    Brenda would like you to read…Facing 2014

Yes, He can do it for you too, Brenda! He is good!

I like your word: Authenticity. God has made you one of a kind. You are His incredible masterpiece, numbered 1 of 1. Be who He made you to be. Shine the light He put into you. Use your God-given talents. Step out into the world and say, “Here I am!”

Let me know how you’re doing with it.

• Pingback: Relapse Ain’t Got Nothin’ on My Recovery Group | Daphne E. Tarango