Spiritual Insight… Straight from My Bearded Dragon LeeRoy

This sight disturbed me and made my skin crawl at first.

As the days went by, a spiritual application revealed itself to me–courtesy of our bearded dragon, LeeRoy.

Before I share my insight, I’m curious… What do you see? What spiritual application can you uncover?

Tell us …

• How has this spiritual truth played out in your life?
  • How is it playing out in your life now?
  • What Bible passages come to mind when you see these pictures?
  • How can you apply them to your life today?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

11 Responses to Spiritual Insight… Straight from My Bearded Dragon LeeRoy

• Corinne says:

I am not really sure but LeeRoy was kind of ugly right with warts and all so God tells us we should love everyone as best that we can with his help.

• Karen says:

Dragon LeeRoy has lots of points–perhaps sharp. People around you have lots of “points”. Their sharp tones and pointed remarks can damage those they gets close to. We need to choose wisely the type of people we spend time with, because barbs hurt and self-esteem goes down. We need to pray for them and care about them but realize that we can’t change everyone in this world.
    Karen would like you to read…AUTUMN, A SWIRL OF COLOR

Ooh, good one, Karen!

I’m sure I have lots of “points” too. 😉

I can relate about choosing wisely the types of people I spend time with. In the past, I’ve had close friends who were negative and critical–maybe in part because I was that way too (I still battle with that at times.) I had to choose to walk away from those relationships after repeated times of trying to steer it into a healthy direction–yet unsuccessfully.

I wholeheartedly agree that we should pray for them and care about them, but know deep down we can’t change them. Phew–that’s a hard lesson!

Thanks for sharing! I’m really enjoying others’ insights.

• Joyce Randall says:

I have been struggling also in this area and trying to get away from all the negative and critical people in my life. It seems to me that no matter what I do, there is just no pleasing them. But as I talked with my spiritual father, he told me to just live my life and if anyone is criticizing you, they are the one’s with the problem. I pray that people will open their eyes to how damaging their words can be. Even if spoken in secret, we are sending forth either life or death into their lives. We all have a ugliness (sin) in our lives that we struggle with daily, but God knows our hearts. He is our Ultimate Heavenly Father that has unconditional love for all His children…always.

You’re right, Joyce. There is no pleasing some people.

Here are some verses that have helped me:

“For I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.” (John 5:30)

“Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.” (Galatians 1:10)

As you said, our words can give life or death. I fail far too many times with this, but I’m praying that God helps me to “think before I speak” and to understand how those words will affect others’ hearts. Just prayed that this morning. I need to pray that everyday because on my own, I can’t do it.

We do all have ugliness, don’t we? Thank God that He knows our hearts and that He is helping us to “shed” that ugliness. He loves us nonetheless.

Thanks for commenting, Joyce.

God bless you, dear one.

• Kellie says:

Loving the unloveable? Looking at LeeRoy makes my skin crawl too. However, he seems to be a loved family pet you are not afraid of–unlike myself. It’s easy to love and take time with people just like ourselves. It takes time, patience, and strength to step out of comfort zones to reach those who are different. Sometimes the person with the grating personality was put into our lives to sand our rough edges and teach us. Sometimes we are put into the lives of others to encourage and lift them up.

Awesome, Kellie! Everyone has a different response. I’m having fun reading the comments.

It is easy to love those like us–don’t I know it. Reaching out to those who are different takes effort–sometimes effort we don’t want to take. Also, it takes some risk. Who knows how the person will respond?

I’ve often wondered why people are in my life–and I in theirs. Surely, God laughs at me when I complain about certain people in my life, thinking, “If she only knew that I’m using this person to help her deal with XYZ.”

Great reminder for sure.

Thanks for sharing!

• Okay…I love Bearded Dragons. When my oldest was begging for a reptile they were one of the species I thought terribly cool. They are intelligent, curious and have lots of personality. Maybe don’t judge a book by it’s cover. David was the youngest of his siblings — but God looked at his heart for his kingly potential. Also they do grow. LeRoy will get bigger. Hopefully we are continue to grow in the Lord. Nice to meet this member of your family, Daphne.

Isn’t he awesome, Jamie? 🙂

A lot of people look at him, are taken aback, and want nothing to do with him. So you’re right–don’t judge a book by its cover. LeeRoy–like other bearded dragons–is intelligent, composed, and full of personality. I love it when his little head tilts back and forth when he’s studying something.

Sometimes, people aren’t what they appear or haven’t yet grown into the potential God has given them, but we can’t give up on them. They will grow and blossom–in God’s time.

Thanks for sharing,

These are all great responses, everyone! Some I had never even considered.

Interestingly enough, your responses in one way or another tie into the insight I gathered from watching LeeRoy.

As Corinne and Karen suggested, we all have “ugly” parts and lots of “points.” We might be in relationship with such people, as Joyce indicated—or we ourselves might be the “ugly” ones in a particular relationship.

What we can do—and this is my insight—is to shed the “ugliness”—the things that hold us back and keep us in a restrictive box, the dead things that serve no purpose anymore in our lives. It might be that we have to shed some “ugly” relationships or we ourselves need to make the changes.

What you probably couldn’t tell from the pictures of LeeRoy was that as he shed his outer layer—the dead skin—he got closer and closer to the light bulbs. In fact, the light bulbs enable him to shed his dead skin! Without the light, he wouldn’t be able to grow and shed off the dead areas of his body.

Isn’t that like us? If we want to get rid of the dead areas in our lives—the ugliness that keeps us from growing—then we need to get closer to the Light—Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. He alone can help us shed:

• Unhealthy relationships
    • Negative attitudes
    • Bad habits

As Kellie said, this will take effort—and risk. But loving God and others means taking risks. We can love others—even from a distance, praying for them, not judging them because of their “ugliness,” as Jamie reminded us, but asking God to help them grow and shed those areas that hold them back. In God’s time, they will grow and blossom, as will we.

Thank you, everyone for sharing your insight. Isn’t it great how God brings this together?

May we find insight and spiritual applications in the little things in life.