Poll: Complain to God?

I’ve had several conversations about this with friends and family. I’m sure you have too. Maybe even heard a sermon or two on it.

So I wanted to get your feedback.

How do you feel about complaining to God?

Use a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 means, “Do not agree with it at all” and 5 means “Completely agree with it.” Then tell us why you gave that rating.

Feel free to reply to others’ comments. As always, please be respectful and kind. (Note: I reserve the right to edit all comments.)

Looking forward to your feedback.

16 Responses to Poll: Complain to God?

• I know what you mean about the word, “complain”. It is usually used in the framework of whining or voicing ones grievances. However, I am one who totally believes that when I am upset about anything I need to bring it to God. He knows my heart and my feelings anyway. By sharing honestly – even in anger or confusion with Him, it is turning those feelings into a prayer, a plea to Him to join with me and help me face the situation – give counsel and help. Sharing with others is not wrong. It is the tone and intent that matters: Do I want their counsel or am I seeking attention for myself. If they are trusted friends – or if it is with a friend that I have the feelings that are bothering me, I can ( or want to( go to God first and then to the person/s.

Thanks for sharing, Lynn.

I think you make a great point about sharing with others: It’s our intent and tone that matter. I have an agreement with one of my friends that if I complain to her–or she complains to me–we ask, “Have you talked to God about it first?” We’ll listen to each other and then we pray about the situation–but we try to bring God into the “venting session.”

• Kellie says:

Completely, totally agree. I used to believe I had to be ‘proper’ when praying–not becoming too nitty gritty for God. Now, I let it all out. Telling the Lord when frustrated, hurt, shattered, and angry is not wrong. He knows it already. It comes down to trust–trusting God with the ugly and knowing He still loves and will help, lead, guide, and direct. For me it was letting go of trying to be perfect before Him and being real. He’s not afraid of my ‘realness’.

Thanks for sharing, Kellie.

I remember thinking that I had to be proper too. I agree that if we can trust God with the ugly and still know that He loves us and will help us, that’s when true relationship and healing comes.

Good points,

• Cheryl Johnston says:

I think God is big enough to handle anything I choose to bring to Him in prayer and conversation – even if I seem like I’m complaining. I think He wants to hear our thoughts (even though He already knows them). There is healing power in speaking our emotions aloud – and when we hear our own voice doing that the brain gets another chance to process it from another angle – perhaps even a more objective one. Venting is therapeutic. AS He listens, He gives me insight for a better perspective or He gives me strength, or He helps me recall Scriptures that guide me toward solutions.

Hi, Cheryl!

Isn’t He big enough?!?! I agree that there is healing power in speaking our emotions aloud. Venting–whether aloud or in a journal–is therapeutic.

Blessings!

• I guess I don’t complain, I ask questions. My biggest questions start with “why” or “I don’t understand”. 🙂 Is that complaining? Yes, venting might be part of what I do. When I hear the word complain, I think of a child with a whine in their voice, bugging an adult. If I complain to God, am I saying what he has done is not enough? Or could tattling be another word to use? Ha. Do we go to God to tell on others and what they’ve done to us? Now, I’ve really got things confused. Ha. Excuse me, I think I was on the verge of “venting”. …….hmmm, I think I’ll stop commenting. Ha. No, I’m not going to erase this comment, because it took me too long to write these wise things. 🙂 Have a great day!

No need to erase the comment, Karen! This is exactly the tug-of-war my friends and I have been discussing.

When we complain to God, or ask why, are we implying that we’re not content with our life? Is that sin? Is it appropriate to speak to God in that way? These are all the questions that have surfaced in my discussions.

Still mulling it over, and I’ll post my thoughts in my next post.

Thanks for sharing this, Karen.

• I think it is fine when we voice our complaints to the Lord. We get into a lot of trouble when we complain and grumble about God to others. Many Israelites were “destroyed by the destroyer” because of their grumbling (1 Corinthians 10:10). King David was not afraid to voice his complaints to the Lord (Psalm 142:2). But it is clear that there should be “no complaining in our streets” (Psalm 144:14). If they are kept in our prayer closet and laid at Jesus’ feet, they are harmless, but taken out into the streets there is no telling the consequences. People do not have the answers to our complaints. The Lord does. Praise His name! So I guess I would rate it ‘5’.

Welcome, Diane!

Your sentence is thought-provoking: “We get into a lot of trouble when we complain and grumble about God to others.” I’m sure we do this more often than we realize. How does this differ, if at all, from complaining and grumbling to our prayer / accountability partners?

I like your distinction between the Israelites and King David: Many Israelites faced severe consequences for their grumbling to others, but King David was not afraid to voice his complaints to the Lord. This is a great reminder to us all.

Thanks for sharing your insight, dear one.

• Pingback: New Article Published: “Are You a PAHM?” | Daphne E. Tarango

• It is a wise plan to be sure God is a part of these kinds of conversations with friends. Thanks, Daphne!

• I agree with so many of the thoughts already shared. I feel free to say what I really think, but like the psalmist, I try to bring it back to faith and gratitude.

• Pingback: Complain, Lament, Whatever You Call it… Just Do It! | Daphne E. Tarango