Cleaning out my closet

I dreaded doing it, but I knew I needed to. Clothes were starting to pile up everywhere, and I couldn’t find what I needed when I wanted to wear it. Can you relate?

So I opened the closet door and started pulling things out one by one.

• Pants.
  • Shirts.
  • Jeans.
  • Shorts.
  • Dresses.

Thoughts of the past flooded my mind as I reached in for each item.

Ooh, I remember when I wore that one.

or

Oh, that one looked really good on me.

and

Ugh, I wish I could get into that one again.

Never mind that I hadn’t worn any of these things in–well, I can’t remember the last time I wore them. They were out of style. And they had that musty closet smell too.

So why did I hold on to them for so long? Why did I leave them in the closet without even giving them a second thought? Why did I let them pile up?

It’s hard letting go of the past, isn’t it? No matter how great today is, I tend to say–or think, “I wish I could do XYZ–or be XYZ–again.”

Truth is: Sometimes we hold on to things that are meant to stay in the past. They were in our lives only for a season–a beginning, middle, and end.

There is a time for everything, and everything on earth has its special season. There is a time to be born and a time to die. There is a time to plant and a time to pull up plants. There is a time to kill and a time to heal. There is a time to destroy and a time to build. There is a time to cry and a time to laugh. There is a time to be sad and a time to dance. There is a time to throw away stones and a time to gather them. There is a time to hug and a time not to hug. There is a time to look for something and a time to stop looking for it. There is a time to keep things and a time to throw things away. (Ecclesiastes 3:1-6)

Time is up for these old clothes. Time can also be up for a lot of other things in our lives:

• Relationships.
  • Careers.
  • Ministries.
  • Hurts.

I’m cleaning out my closet. Are you?

God can help you throw away your old clothes

Come alongside… What have you been holding on to? Why? What steps can you take to let it go?

13 Responses to Cleaning out my closet

• Ohh, been doing the same thing. Started in the playroom, going through the closet, and the plastic containers under the beds. Stirred up dust and memories. Just had to throw away that bathing suit I’ll never, EVER wear, again. Why did I keep it? To depress myself? Really, I think it shrunk from salt water or chlorine?

I’ve had to let go of the fact that I can’t be everything to everyone. And…I need some “me” time. I sometimes feel like I’m all “used up”.

“Stirred up dust and memories.” There’s a blog post for ya, Karen. 🙂

We can’t be everything to everyone. It’s okay to take “me” time. In fact, Jesus himself did that. When can you set aside time?

Hugs, my friend.

• Debra says:

Daphne, I just love the way you tied spring cleaning with letting go of those “treasures” in our lives that we hold on to when we should be letting go… and how “to everything there is a season.”

As for the old clothes… I keep of few of those as motivation to lose the excess pounds that need to be shed 😉

That’s a great point, Debra! Some of those old “clothes” we need to keep around as motivation to get back into healthy habits. 😉

Thanks for stopping by!

• Lonny Dunn says:

Yes, letting go and surrender are two powerful spiritual forces that free us from the past, the present, and even the future. Worry never works anyway, and create’s stress. Holding onto yesterday means we cannot enjoy today. But letting go also allows us to lead a Spiritual Life, and focus on growing NOW. I like the reference of the old clothes in the closet. A nice literary tool.

Lonny Dunn Tweets at @ProNetworkBuild

Worry does create stress, Lonny. And we certainly don’t live in today when we worry.

I heard a saying awhile ago: “If you worry, why pray? If you pray, why worry?”

Surrender is so essential to leading a life of freedom.

Thanks for stopping by and for promoting the post via Twitter!

• Good reminder for both the closet and the past.

• James says:

What am I holding onto? Wow! A lot les than I was, but still, it’s a process. I seem to have this resentment for a member of my family, and as I am not sure what it is springing out of, I’m not sure how to deal with it and then let it go. At first, when I became aware of it, I prayed, and I thought it was because I hadn’t worked a 9th step amends with her. And the start of all my amends was to “sit and listen to all that they had to say without becoming defensive or angry.” Important, because these were the coping mechanisms I used in my addiction to cover up my mistakes. I believed that inside of me, the scales were not balanced with her, as I had been so careful to do with everyone else. So I excitedly waited for the opportunity, and when I next met up with her, I did just that. I felt like we were on even ground again for perhaps the first time in 2 decades. And yet, within a month or 2, the same resentment had come back, in the form of my irritability with her, my unreasonably holding her feet to the fire for her short-comings. And to ask this person, she would probably NOT know anything was wrong between us. But I know. So I am working a fourth step on my relationship with her, hoping that helps. So, for me, I am cleaning out my “attic”! Thanks for your posts, they really inspire me!

Wow… Thanks for sharing, James.

I agree with you that letting go is a process. For some people, it’s a one time thing. But I think for most people, it’s a day-by-day thing, and maybe even a moment-by-moment surrender.

I’m happy to hear that you are working on your resentment and that you’re not letting it fester any longer. Keep us posted on your progress. I will certainly pray for your healing.

• I have definitely had to declutter my life. 🙂 You’re right. It’s so helpful to remember that some things, and even some people are only for a season. It took me a long time to accept that.

It has taken me awhile to accept that too, Melanie. Sometimes, I still struggle and want to hold on to people whose season is over in my life.

• Pingback: Daphne’s Top Ten Inspirational Posts of 2012 | Daphne E. Tarango