Poll: Can you really get rid of bad habits?

Earlier this week, I was reading an article in New York Times called, “How Companies Learn Your Secrets.” The article talked about how companies use statistics to understand consumers’ buying habits so they can predict how to market to them. (Side note: That’s what I do on a daily basis in my day job.)

Anyway… I read a line that intrigued me, especially given my own recovery and the recovery work I do on a weekly basis with others in my community. It said…

Habits never really disappear.

I understand they were speaking in biological terms, but it still makes me wonder.

How about you? Do you agree or disagree? Use a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 means “Completely disagree” and 5 means “Completely agree.” Then tell us why you gave that rating.

Feel free to reply to others’ comments. As always, please be respectful and kind. (Note: I reserve the right to edit all comments.)

Looking forward to your feedback.

11 Responses to Poll: Can you really get rid of bad habits?

If you ask me, and only if you ask, old habits are like wind. You see, when the wind comes, it might blow and blow for days. Then it’s gone. Did the wind disintegrate or just disappear? No, it just went somewhere else–it never dies. For me, it’s the same with habits. They might go away for a while but always seem to resurface. I know the difference in my life is, when those old habits want to come back around, I have an advocate in Christ that buffers for me and keeps the habits at bay–if I let Him. So back to the original question, no they don’t disappear… if you ask me.

Thanks for sharing, GuichT.

Interesting perspective. I can see how some habits might resurface, given the “right” opportunities. However, I’m not sure that the habits just go somewhere else. Maybe others will chime in.

• james neely says:

“I am granted a daily reprieve based on maintenance of a spiritual condition”. My bad habits are only held at bay by my practice of “better habits”. I am going to do something daily that will either feed my addiction, or it will feed my recovery, and for me, doing nothing is the same as doing something bad. The life-giving habits I have developed are Bible-reading, and prayer in order to know God and His will for my life, and to gain the power to follow that will. Another daily principle that keeps me clean is “Service before self” where I get out of my “self” through service to others. I became honest, I became willing, and I opened my mind to the possibility of living the way other people suggested I live. I am not sure of the biological attributes of a bad habit. But of this I am sure, there is Grace for that. And that when I put all this at the foot of the Cross, I am a new creation.

Thanks for sharing, James.

I agree that we do something daily that feeds either our addiction or our recovery.

I applaud you for creating “life-giving habits.” In my mind, it’s important to replace the bad habits with new habits. When we do, God gives us grace to overcome our tempting situations.

• ellie says:

Three. Most habits can die. Age changes us, life changes us, and God–most importantly–helps us change if we allow Him to. Sometimes, He changes us even when we don’t!

Isn’t that the truth, Ellie– “God changes us even when we don’t.” 🙂

In my mind–and in my experience–most habits can die. Nothing is impossible for God.

Thanks for stopping by.

• Kellie says:

Yes and no. What we lay at the feet of Christ can be changed. It doesn’t mean we will never be tempted, but it does mean complete freedom is available. Some habits are easy to give up and never look back–and never be affected by temptation. Other habits are deeply rooted and require the power of the Holy Spirit and His timing. Timing, perservance, and walking daily in the Spirit are the issues more than whether or not a habit never leaves. Thank goodness Christ makes all things new and there is hope!

Hi, Kellie!

Yes, yes, yes! The foot of the cross is of utmost importance. And you’re right: It does not mean we won’t be tempted, but we can have complete freedom in the Lord Jesus Christ.

One of the key words in your comment is “walking daily.” For me, when I don’t spend time daily with God, I struggle with temptations because I’m not fully armed with the power of God in my life.

Blessings, dear friend.

• I definitely give that a 1! I know habits can disappear because God removed so many of my bad ones. Not only that, but He gave me good habits to replace them! Without the Lord, though, that quote might be all too accurate. Great, interesting post, Daphne!

I agree with you, Melanie. Definitely a 1!

But I hadn’t thought of it the other way, and that’s a great perspective too.

Without the Lord, thought, that quote might be all too accurate.

Thanks for stopping by.