I am like Whitney

I didn’t believe it when I first heard the news early this week, but alas, it was true: Whitney Houston was dead. I tried to keep it together, but I admit: I cried–a lot. She was my favorite singer growing up. I wanted to be–and sing–like Whitney. What girl in the ’80s and ’90s didn’t?

I’m not sure how or why her life ended so soon. But as I thought about her life, I was saddened. What made it worse were comments from people who were quick to judge her and her actions.

Dear friend, please hear my heart…

• We all have issues.
  • We all sin.
  • Whitney was no exception.
  • Neither am I.
  • Neither are you.

God has used my life experiences–good and bad–to show me one life-changing Truth.

• Any person can make unhealthy choices.
  • Any person can make a mistake.
  • Any person can fall.
  • I can be that person.

What separates my life from Whitney’s?

• The cameras.
  • The tabloids.
  • The news.

Her private mistakes were made public. Her unhealthy choices were publicized for the world to see. Her addictions were on the little screen and on the front pages of newspapers and magazines.

What about me? My mistakes? My unhealthy choices? My addictions? They remain mine and mine alone–hidden from view of the world, my workplace, my church, my friends, and even my family. I am no better, no worse than Whitney. It just so happens that my issues are not on display for the world to see. Nor would I want them to be.

Dear one, I don’t want to judge others. I don’t want to pick on them, jump on their failures, or criticize their faults (Matthew 7:1-6). Instead, I pray for God to have mercy on me, for I–like Whitney–am a sinner (Luke 18:9-14). I–like Whitney–need Jesus to remove the deep stain of all my sins–public and private. I need to be as clean as freshly-fallen snow (Isaiah 1:18).

We are all like Whitney. But this I know… Jesus loves Whitneys.

Come alongside… Have you been judged? Have you judged others? How do you feel when you hear that we all have issues and are all sinners? What sins do you need to confess today? Can you accept that Jesus loves you? He does, you know…

13 Responses to I am like Whitney

• He loves me in the morning and He loves me at night.
    He loves me when I’m wrong and He loves me when I’m right.
    He loves me in spite of all I may be.
    He gave me His love, His love has set me free.
    Yes, Jesus loves me.
    Oh, yes He loves me.
    Ya know the bible tells me sooooooooooooooo.

• Erin says:

Amen. He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? – Matt. 7:3 (KJV)

Great verse, Erin! When you’ve been through trials and you’ve been knocked down and are up again, you get a different perspective on judging people.

Blessings, my new friend. 🙂

• Sounds like our thoughts were one and the same. My hope is that we can take something from the process and learn from it. With God’s help, I believe we can. Excellent post.

I think we were on the same page, Julie!

There is a lot to learn from it–that’s for sure.

I hope you will continue to use your talents for God’s glory, dear one.

I too was sad to hear what became of her. While I do believe in righteous judgement, judging principles and not preferences, it did make me upset to hear some of the things from others. The worst ones from other believers. I learned years ago not to ever say, ” That could never happen to me.” Or, ” I would never do that.” Guess what? It did and I did. The good new is, I believe she is at rest with our Father, with all my heart I believe that. How hard it must have been for her to go thru life with such a struggle.

Thanks for sharing, GuichT.

God has been patient with me, teaching me that the words “I would never…” stem from pride. I have made a lot of decisions in my life that I thought I would never make. But thank God that He is a forgiving and all-patient Father. he does love Whitneys, and I too am a Whitney.

• What a sweet truth: Jesus loves Whitneys. We don’t all have drug problems, but we’ve all got problems. Thanks for an excellent, touching post.

Thanks for stopping by, Melanie.

We all have problems–that is for sure. Thank God for not always giving us what we deserve because of our decisions.

Blessings to you, my sister.

• Pingback: Miley, The Morning After