Ever watch a flower bloom?

Today it is my pleasure and honor to have my husband, Luis Tarango, as guest blogger. Luis is a talented writer with a wonderful imagination–I’m jealous! Luis also has a unique ability to see things in a different way. As Luis observed flowers in our living room just a few days ago, he remembered our word for the year, “Growth.” He told me about his observations and sat down to write, “Ever watched a flower bloom?” Enjoy and be blessed!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Ever watch a flower bloom?

By Luis B. Tarango

Ever watch a flower bloom?

Why would I ask such a thing? What is so special about a flower blooming–other than flowers are pretty and sometimes smell good?

Seriously, ever watch a flower bloom?

It takes just a few days. Progressively, the plant begins to bud. Slowly, ever so slowly, the bud opens. The bud blooms into something…well, something spectacular.

Have you ever watched a flower bloom?

God in all His infinite wisdom, the Great Artist, has given the flower one shot at putting forth its best effort, one shot at showing the world what it is capable of.

Never to bloom again, the single bud opens to reveal the wonderful abundance of beauty it contains inside.

Knowing that it has only one chance at stardom, the young bud doesn’t waste time worrying about its past. It does not ever say…

• “I can’t do this; it’s too hard.”
  • “I don’t like this vase I’m in.”
  • “Maybe if He had planted me right in the first place.”
  • “This garden does not suit me.”
  • “I’m just going to die when I am done–why bother?”

With only one chance, the bud releases perfection upon the earth. It comes forth with such stunning beauty–never once with the worry of what tomorrow is going to bring. In this brief moment, it gives maximum effort!

From the palette of a genius, the colors leap out exalting praise and perfuming the air with such sweet aromas. It’s as if the rest of creation pauses to take notice of this magnificent symphony of eye-pleasing splendor. Without complaints, worries, doubts, fears or excuses… the transformation from bud to flower is complete.

Slowly the stem curves, and the dry petals begin to take their place one by one on the ground. With every trace of life gone from its body, nothing more left to give, it rests peacefully. Given only one chance to shine, it did so with the utmost exertion.

Have you ever seen a flower bloom?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Come alongside…Are you taking advantage of your one chance to bloom? How? If not, what can you do to change that? What first step can you take? How can you share this post with someone who is not blooming?

(Remember… January is book giveaway month. The more you comment below, the more chances you have to win a copy of my new book, Women of the Secret Place.)

13 Responses to Ever watch a flower bloom?

• Jamie says:

There is one very old (sickly) rose bush in my side yard. Every year around Mother’s Day it puts out one HUGE rose. I know exactly what you’re talking about. By then the weather’s warm and we’re on the porch a lot. I sit for a week or more anticipating the final opening. Love that analogy. I hope that I’m still opening like that rose.

I’ve seen a lot of those sickly bushes, Jamie.

I’ll have to keep that in mind the next time I see one. Then I can anticipate their bloom and hang around to see them in all their splendor.

• Karen Campbell Prough says:

Wonderful, Luis! Very inspiring. Yes, you have talent as a writer. You must go forward with placing your thoughts down for the world to see.

Doesn’t he, Karen? 🙂

We’ll help him continue to bloom. We’ll water him in writers’ group and give him love. 🙂

Blessings, my friend.

• Lareina says:

Love this. Very inspiring! Looking forward to reading more of your blog posts Luis!

• Debi Durham says:

Thank you both for sharing.
    Luis- it brought on tears & smiles.
    God gives us what we need
    & puts us were we need to be. I get teased for stopping to see the flowers. Now I have new thoughts.

• Joyce says:

What amazing insight and such a positive observation of the life of a rose. It gives its all with everything God has created it for with no concept of less than 100%. What an inspiration to me as I struggle with low self-esteem and negative self-image. I struggle with worry and am very hard on myself. This has given me such a lovely and simple example to remember that to give my all for the Glory of God and never have doubt that I am pleasing to God as I am.
    God Bless you Luis and thanks Daphne!
    Joyce

What a joy to read all these wonderful comments. I certainly didn’t know what to expect from this blog… I am not even sure what else to say here, this is very humbling. Certainly God has blessed us all today! Thank you to everyone.

• I love it Luis. What an encouragement and so beautifully written.

• Roxanne says:

Recently, I watched a video tape of a rose as it went through the budding to withering stage. It was magnificent to watch this process as it was captured by a videographer. What took months to happen in the natural, was sped up, through the wonders of modern technology, to happen in a matter of a few moments! What an Amazing God we have!!!

Oh, I would love to see that, Roxanne! I’ll have to look for it on YouTube.

God is amazing. He has confidence in us to give us this life so that we can do what He alone has called us to do. May we put aside all that hinders us and bloom!

• Linda Gillispie says:

Inspiring Louis! Isn’t it interesting how God makes a beautiful bloom even more desirable by placing a small bud beside it? An undeveloped bud that is watching, waiting, learning, trusting and believing that it too, by God’s Grace, will develop into a beautiful, mature, and purposed Rose.

• Linda Gillispie says: