Inviting Them Home

Inspirational writer, Shanda Delaney Oakley, recently blogged about being “Home for the Holidays.” In her post, Shanda revealed that there were many people who were away from their home for the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ–Joseph, Mary, the shepherds, the wise men, and most of all, Jesus Himself.

Several years ago, I was away from home for the holidays. Recently divorced, I moved to a new town the week of Christmas and knew no one–except my dog. I didn’t know my way around the town, and all I remembered was seeing a church several blocks from my house.

I mustered up enough courage to drive to the church for their Christmas Eve candlelight service.  Churchgoers shook my hand, talked to me, and asked why I was in town. A kind family invited me to sit by them. I felt at home.

At the end of the service, I thanked them for welcoming me and wished them a merry Christmas. As I walked away, the mother figure in the family came over and invited me to her family’s that evening–and if I had nowhere else to go, I could come to Christmas dinner with them too.

At first, I declined and said I didn’t want to impose. But she insisted–it would be no imposition. They had a large family and everyone would be there. I whispered, “Okay.”

I followed them home and enjoyed evening snacks and gift-giving. We laughed and played games. I felt at home.

The next day, I joined them for Christmas. Again, I felt at home.

It was just one invitation–but an invitation I’ll never forget.

Every year since then, my friends and I have hosted a Christmas party for singles and others who have little to no family in the area. We enjoy each other’s company and it is the “home for the holidays” that most wouldn’t otherwise have. This past Saturday, we had almost 40 people in my home. We laughed and played games. Can you picture a white-elephant gift exchange for 40 people ages 2 to 74? I enjoyed every minute of it, and I trust they did too.

They felt at home.

As you and your family approach Christmas Eve, Christmas, and even the New Year holiday, think about those who don’t have a place where they can feel at home. Call them. Reach out to them. Invite them home.

Come alongside… Who can you share your home with for the holidays?

10 Responses to Inviting Them Home

• Kathy says:

What a wonderful reminder and an excellent gift to give that does not cost a thing. Extending a hand, sharing a kind word, or extending and invitation is a simple reminder of the wonderful gift that Christ gives us daily. Thank you again for the reminder.

• Merida (Merita) says:

Beautiful story.

• I am so glad you told this inspiring story. I was going to mention to you that it would make a great post!
    God bless you as you reach out to those who don’t have a home for Christmas.

Thanks for stopping by, Shanda.

As I was commenting on your post, I thought, “Wow. I could post about this.” 🙂

As an aside, I think sometimes we–writers–keep ourselves insulated from other bloggers for a number of reasons or we don’t take the time to read others’ blogs. But as we do, we learn from them and it inspires us even more. Thank you for your willingness to write what God has laid on your heart–and to encourage others to do the same.

• Jamie says:

What a great story. And I’m impressed with all the wrapping you’ve done. I’ve never been on my own at Christmas but this will give me pause to look for individuals who might need an invitation to a family gathering. Take care.

Hi, Jamie!

Girl, that wrapping is from last year! LOL! I don’t have anything under my tree yet. 🙂 Except Dudleigh, who seems to have found a new home on the tree skirt. 🙂

There are many people out there who have no place to go. I was once that person, and may I never forget to extend the gift of my home to them.

Blessings, my friend.

• Randall says:

This is a great ministry of hospitality. My wife & I have also invited singles over for Thanksgiving. I’d like to invite readers to take a look-see at my Christmas/holiday blogs. Hope y’all have a blessed Christmas & New Years!

Thank you so much, Randall. Blessings to you and your wife as you, too, share your home with others during the holidays.

I will have to hop over to your blog. Thanks for letting me know about it.