What’s Your Story?

Yesterday, my husband and I–along with our nephew and two of our nieces–headed downtown to the Polk Authors and Illustrators Festival. One of our good friends and favorite authors, April Whitt, debuted her new book, “Private Eye, Romeo Riley:  The Boy Who Saw Too Much.” Congratulations, April!

As we walked up and down the booths, it occurred to me how many different stories people had to share. Stories about…

• Special needs.
  • Paper airplanes.
  • Domestic violence.
  • Fossils.
  • Missionary tales.
  • You name it.

Each person believed in their story so much–whether fiction or non-fiction–to breathe life into it and put it down on paper. But not only did they put it down on paper, they also shared it with others.

As we walked some more, my nieces begged, “Tell us a story, Tia.” (That’s Spanish for “Aunt.”) They, too, wanted to hear a story–not just any story, my story.

Dear one, you have a story to share.

• Will you breathe life into it?
  • Will you share it with others?

Someone somewhere wants to hear your story. Only you can tell it.

Come alongside… Tell us your story.

11 Responses to What’s Your Story?

• A story comes to life when you set in motion, that’s for sure! It starts out with an idea. But as you write it down, then rest it, pick it back up and shape it, soon it begins to take on a “life” that can later be shared with others! I wonder if it was a little like that when God created each of us? He must have started out first with the idea of making us! How blessed we are to experience creativity! Maybe we catch a glimpse of how our Creator felt when He breathed us into existence!

I agree wholeheartedly, April.

The Creator planted that desire to create within each of us. We are made in His image, and whether we know it or not, that desire to create comes from Him.

For many years, I stuffed that creative spirit–not purposefully, but because I didn’t know how to be creative, and I was scared of it. All I knew was to live in a small little box of yes and no, black and white, and nothing in between. But when I started to really know God and to have that relationship with Him, I was able to express my creativity in ways I never had before.

Thanks for sharing, dear one.

• Jann Cobb says:

Our stories are intertwined with the leading and direction of Jesus. I am blessed beyond belief to have walked with Jesus for so many years. Each day i have the honor of seeing Him through out the day! Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks for visiting, Jann.

It is true: Our stories are intertwined. When I think of it, no one could masterfully pull it all together like our Master. He is God, and He is amazing–in more ways than one.

Blessings, my friend.

P.S. – I’m enjoying reading your blog. 🙂

• James says:

My first memory of my dad is also the first thing I remember period. We were at an air show, in San Diego, the Blue Angels. I was holding my dads’ hand, and we were walking out on the tarmac. I remember looking up at him, now I don’t know if it was because I was so very small, or because it seemed he was so very tall, or maybe it was the sun that was shining from behind his head, but he was larger than life. That never changed with us. He always was. My mom said I was 3 at that air show. And I wanted to grow up to be just like him. I would do just that.

What a great story, James! Thank you for sharing it with us. This is one to definitely hold on to and to pass on to others as well.

• Jamie says:

What a neat festival. It is amazing how many different ideas and things people come up with and put into book form. Great books. We all are created so uniquely.

It was a neat festival, Jamie!

I was amazed at the different topics. You are right: We are created so uniquely–all God’s workmanship.

Big hugs, my friend.

• Dear Daphne,

First, thank you for posting your comment on my “Crazy Cycle” blog post! I’ve enjoyed what you wrote about contentment very much.

Second, when we don’t share our amazing stories, they are like songs that are never sung. That thought makes me feel such sadness. Positive testimonies about God’s work in our lives, beautify and light up this dark world! I pray that people will be more courageos and step out in faith to write, as God leads them to. May we continue to be faithful and bring Him all the glory!

Thanks for stopping by, Kelly!

I love your analogy about the songs that are never sung. Transparency is risky, but God gives us the courage to step out and light this dark world.

Blessings, my friend.